To make sure that only approved family members can manage your Circle device, we utilize a passcode when recovering your account, or if necessary when adding another management device. Because this passcode travels through several different network types and security gates, occasionally you may not receive it. Getting the passcode but it's not verifying? Check out the second section of this article.
If you did not receive an SMS text message with your passcode:
- If you have another device with the Circle app already installed and connected to your Circle, we recommend navigating to Menu -> Manage -> Get Circle Passcode in that device's Circle app to avoid the need to text the passcode.
- Make sure you are using a device that can receive SMS texts.
- Check that your device is able to access the Internet.
- Wait at least 15 seconds for the message to arrive.
- Ensure that you still have access to the phone number you set up for your account. If not, you'll need to reset your Circle; contact us using the support links below for instructions.
- Tap the Resend Code link to tell Circle to resend the passcode (see image below).
- Turn off your mobile data and any smart Wi-Fi switching options on your device.
- Try turning your Circle device OFF and ON. Then retry the pairing process.
- If you feel comfortable doing so, turn your router off, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it on again. After this make sure your device is connected to your home Wi-Fi network and able to access the internet.
⚠️Warning: Turning your router off will bring down your Wi-Fi network and any connected devices. Only do so as a last resort and if you feel comfortable.
- Force close the Circle app on your device and then reopen it. This will force your device to start the process over again and free up resources.
- Unplug the ethernet cord from your Circle device. If you have your Circle device plugged into your router via ethernet cord, try unplugging this and then attempting to send the passcode.
- Make sure you have not blocked the number (503) 345-5542. This is our passcode number and should be set to allowed on your phone to receive messages.
- Verify that you have the correct number under your info in the Circle app. Check Menu >> Manage to do so.
- The Circle device might be having issues sending the passcode because of your router’s firewall settings. If you feel comfortable doing so, try setting your firewall to a lower setting and then retry the pairing process.
- Simplify your network setup temporarily. If you use an extender on your network, it might interfere with retrieving your passcode. Try unplugging the extender, pairing, and then reconnecting the extender back into your network setup.
Trouble Verifying the Passcode
Pairing a new admin device to Circle is easy, but occasionally the passcode you use might fail to verify. This can occur because of a network issue, or because a process on Circle stopped working.
- Restart both your router and Circle device. Power off your router and then back on to reboot it. Then, hold the Circle device's power button on the back for approximately 10-15 seconds until the white light goes off. Turn it back on afterwards by holding the power button for 3 seconds.
- Plug in Circle to your router via Ethernet cord. (Note: on some routers if the Ethernet cord is already plugged in you might try unplugging it and keeping Circle near your router connected over WiFi. We recommend between 3-5 feet away.)
- Wait 15 minutes and then move on to the next step. (This allows any services on your Circle device to restart.)
- Retrieve the passcode from your second device, or in the Circle app tap "Resend Code".
- Enter the passcode as shown or received, making sure you are on your home Wi-Fi network.
- If the issue continues, make sure your admin. device you are trying to add is updated to the latest software version. As well, make sure the Circle app is updated fully.
- The very last step for troubleshooting would be doing a full uninstall, restart of device and then a reinstall of the application.
Other helpful articles: