To make sure that only approved family members can manage your Circle device, we utilize a passcode when recovering your account, or if necessary when adding another management device. Because this passcode travels through several different network types and security gates, occasionally you may not receive it. This article details what to do in that situation.
If you did not receive an SMS text message with your passcode:
- If you have another device with the Circle app already installed and connected to your Circle, we recommend navigating to Menu -> Manage -> Get Circle Passcode in that device's Circle app to avoid the need to text the passcode.
- Make sure you are using a device that can receive SMS texts.
- Check that your device is able to access the Internet.
- Wait at least 15 seconds for the message to arrive.
- Ensure that you still have access to the phone number you set up for your account. If not, you'll need to reset your Circle; contact us using the support links below for instructions.
- Tap the Resend Code link to tell Circle to resend the passcode (see image below).
- Turn off your mobile data and any smart Wi-Fi switching options on your device.
- Try turning your Circle device OFF and ON. Then retry the pairing process.
- If you feel comfortable doing so, turn your router off, wait 10 seconds, and then turn it on again. After this make sure your device is connected to your home Wi-Fi network and able to access the internet.
Warning: turning your router off will bring down your Wi-Fi network and any connected devices. Only do so as a last resort and if you feel comfortable.
- Force close the Circle app on your device and then reopen it. This will force your device to start the process over again and free up resources.
- Unplug the ethernet cord from your Circle device. If you have your Circle device plugged into your router via ethernet cord, try unplugging this and then attempting to send the passcode.
- The Circle device might be having issues sending the passcode because of your router’s firewall settings. If you feel comfortable doing so, try setting your firewall to a lower setting and then retry the pairing process.
- Simplify your network setup temporarily. If you use an extender on your network, it might interfere with retrieving your passcode. Try unplugging the extender, pairing, and then reconnecting the extender back into your network setup.
Other helpful articles: