Circle Go is an exciting addition to the Circle family that extends the power of Circle beyond the home for mobile devices. Whether on 4G LTE or on other Wi-Fi networks, Circle Go will manage mobile devices in the same way as it will when they are on the home Wi-Fi. For more information about Circle Go like requirements, pricing, or availability click here. Here is what you need to know about getting Circle Go installed on each of your mobile devices.
(Wondering how to subscribe? Check out this article.)
Setting up Circle Go
Getting Circle Go installed on your Android device is extremely simple and requires the following steps, all of which are outlined below:
- Get the Circle and MyCircle apps.
- Subscribe to Circle Go.
- Install the Circle Go profile on your Android devices by following the instructions below.
It's really that simple!
After installing Circle Go, all of this device’s Internet activity will be handled by Circle Go according to the filter and time settings you have in place for the Circle device in your home.
To run Circle Go on your Android device, you must...
- Have a Circle with Disney device already set up and managing your home Wi-Fi
- Install the MyCircle app on the device you want to manage with Circle Go
- Be running Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) or higher on that device
- Assign the device you'd like Circle Go on to a profile other than None or Unmanaged. Circle Go can only be installed on devices managed by Circle
NOTE: Circle Go is not yet supported on Amazon Kindle devices.
Step 1: Install the apps
You will need to setup and manage two apps to use Circle Go:
- For managing Circle Go: Circle.
Install this app on the device that you want to use to manage your Circle device and your Circle Go subscription.
- For installing Circle Go: MyCircle
Install this app on any Android device that you want to manage using Circle Go. Remember, that device must be running Android 4.1 or later.
You can find these apps in the Google Play Store.
Recommendation: Confirm that the “Automatically Update” switch is enabled in Google Play for these apps to ensure that you have the most current version of the apps.
Step 2: Subscribe to Circle Go
Please make sure that in-app purchases are not restricted on the device you're using to subscribe to Circle Go!
Circle Go is a monthly subscription that extends the Circle features that work in the home to mobile devices, no matter which network they join. To subscribe to Circle Go:
- Start the subscription process. Open up the Circle app, and tap the Menu icon in the top left of your screen. Tap "Circle Go" to get started.
- Read the terms and conditions, login, and confirm the subscription. The Circle Go subscription links to your Google Play Store account, and you'll manage it there. Click here for more about managing your Circle Go subscription. Login with your Google Play Store account to confirm the subscription.
- Once you have the subscription in place, you are now ready to install Circle Go on your Android device.
Step 3: Install Circle Go on your device
Circle Go must be installed on every Android device that you want to manage outside your home Wi-Fi. Installing Circle Go on each of your devices is relatively simple, but you will likely see a number of screens that you haven't ever seen before as you go through the process.
Here's what setting up Circle Go will look like. On the first Android device that you want to manage with Circle Go, follow these steps:
Begin Circle Go setup
- Make sure the device is under the correct profile. Assign the device to a Circle profile with a filter level other than "None". If you are having trouble identifying the device you are on, you can get help here.
NOTE: Devices with a filter level of "None" or that are currently "Unmanaged" will not be able to use MyCircle or Circle Go. Devices not connected to the home Wi-Fi while installing Go will not be able to complete the installation.
- Connect to your home Wi-Fi managed by Circle.
- Launch the MyCircle app. If you're launching the MyCircle app for the first time, be sure to read through the introduction cards and allow MyCircle to send you notifications.
- Tap Enable Circle Go at the bottom of the screen. (If you’ve opened the app before but not enabled Circle Go yet, tap the Menu button and then Circle Go.)
Install the Circle Go Device Management
In order to work, Circle Go requires the installation of a device management profile onto your phone's operating system. This allows Circle Go to manage your Internet activity according to the settings you've put in place for the person that this device belongs to. You can learn more about the technical details here.
- Tap Enable Circle Go to start the process. This will initiate the install process.
- Tap Next to continue the process. To quit this process and come back to it later, tap cancel.
- Tap OK to allow the MyCircle app to initiate a change to your device's administrators. In order to work, Circle Go requires that the MyCircle app is given permission to act as a device administrator. This allows Circle Go to manage your Internet activity according to the settings you've put in place for the person that this device belongs to.
- Tap "Activate this device administrator” to allow MyCircle to manage your device. If you click “Cancel" the Circle Go installation process will cancel. If you hit “Uninstall the app”, the process will be canceled and you will be prompted to uninstall MyCircle. You must tap “Activate this device administrator” to continue the process.
- Tap OK at the confirmation screen. This will confirm the Activation.
- Tap “OK" to allow the VPN connection request. After the confirmation screen, your Android device will let you know that "MyCircle wants to set up a VPN connection that allows it to monitor network traffic.” This is how MyCircle will enforce the Circle settings on this device when it’s off the home Wi-Fi.
DISCLAIMER: If you attempt to cancel, Circle Go will not allow you to continue and reinitiate the VPN connection request. If you would like to cancel the process you must tap the recent applications button on your Android and close MyCircle. After this, you can start the process later, or MyCircle's management of your device by following these instructions.
- A key icon will now appear at the top of your device, letting you know Circle Go has been enabled and is working. You will also be returned to your MyCircle app. Hurray, Circle Go is enabled!
How do I know that I was successful?
There are a couple of indicators to look for that the installation of Circle Go was successful:
- In the Circle app
After subscribing for Circle Go, you will see a new item appear in the menu of your Circle app. Tap on Circle Go to display which devices are Circle Go enabled.
- On the Circle Go enabled device
On every device that Circle Go is enabled on, you will be able to see a "key" icon in the status bar on your Android device that indicates that Circle Go has been enabled on that device. This badge will always be present while Circle Go is installed.
Other helpful articles: