While the Circle device's filtering levels and categorization will often be sufficient for your family's needs, there may be times when your filter settings are still allowing a site that you would like to filter out or filtering out a site that you'd like to allow. Custom filters will let you control Filter Settings on a site-by-site basis (ex. google.com).
How do Custom Filters work?
Custom filters work a little differently than the normal categories and platforms. Allowing a site with the Custom Filter will allow that site to bypass Circle's other Filter Settings for that family member. Here's a description of the three types of Custom Filters:
- Allowed: the website will be accessible for this profile except during OffTimes, BedTimes, Pauses, and when a Time Limit has been reached.
- Not Allowed: the website will be unaccessible for this profile.
- Unmanaged: the website will always be accessible for this profile, even during OffTimes, BedTimes, Pauses, and when a Time Limit has been reached. In addition, this website will not be tracked under Usage and will not count towards Time Limits.
NOTE: Circle's Custom Filter settings only support domain addresses. Individual IP addresses are not supported at this time.
Accessing Custom Filters
From the Home Screen, select the family member's profile you'd like to manage custom filters for.
- Select the Filter section from the family member's settings.
- Tap the Custom Filter button at the bottom of the filter settings.
NOTE: The Custom Filter button is "sticky", meaning that it will always be stuck to the bottom of the filter settings screen despite scrolling up and down.
How do I always allow a website?
- On the Filter Settings screen, tap Custom Filter on the bottom.
- Tap Add Website and enter the URL (web address) of the site you’d like to allow.
- Tap Done.
- Make sure that the button beside the website says Allowed; if not, tap it until it does.
- The family member will now be able to access the site no matter the filter level or setting, except during OffTimes, BedTimes, Pauses, and when a Time Limit has been reached.
How do I filter out a website?
- Tap the button next to the URL to change it to Not Allowed.
- The family member will no longer be able to access the site no matter the filter level or setting.
How do I make sure I can always access a site?
- Tap the button next to the URL to change it to Unmanaged.
- The family member will no longer have this site appear under their Usage; the site will be accessible during during Pauses, OffTimes, BedTimes, maxed out Time Limits; it will not count towards any Time Limits.
Adding a Custom Filter (Video)
Note: remember to click save after adding a Custom Filter!
How do I remove a site from Custom Filters?
- Tap Edit in the top right corner while within the Custom Filters screen.
- Tap the Delete button beside each website you would like to remove from the Custom Filters.
- Tap Done to save.
Custom Filters and Usage
The Usage section for each profile allows you to add websites to the Custom Filters on the fly for each family member. From there, you can filter out sites that were allowed or allow sites that were filtered out.
Adding a Custom Filter from Usage
Tap any website listed on the Usage summary screen and select Set as Allowed, Set as Not Allowed, or Set as Unmanaged. This will add the website to the Custom Filter list and set the toggle as the chosen option.
Adding A Custom Filter from History
Select History from the family member's profile screen. Tap any website you would like to add a Custom Filter for from the Visited timeline and select Set as Allowed, Set as Not Allowed, or Set as Unmanaged.This will add the website to the Custom Filter list and set the toggle to your chosen option.
Adding a Customer Filter from the History of filtered sites
Select History from the family member's profile, and then tap Filtered. Tap any website you would like to allow from the Filtered timeline and select Set as Allowed, Set as Not Allowed, or Set as Unmanaged. This will add the website to the Custom Filter list for that family member and set the toggle as the chosen option.