Circle Go is an exciting addition to the Circle family that extends the power of Circle beyond the home for mobile devices. Whether on 4G LTE or on other Wi-Fi networks, Circle Go will manage mobile devices in the same way as it will when they are on the home Wi-Fi. For more information about Circle Go like requirements, pricing, or availability click here. Here is what you need to know about getting Circle Go installed on each of your mobile devices.
(Wondering how to subscribe? Check out this article.)
Setting Up Circle Go
Getting Circle Go installed on your iOS device is extremely simple and requires the following steps, all of which are outlined below:
- Get the Circle and MyCircle apps via the App Store.
- Subscribe to Circle Go.
- Install the Circle Go profile on your iOS devices by following the instructions below.
It's really that simple!
After installing Circle Go, all of this device’s Internet activity will be handled by Circle. Please note that although all Internet traffic on your device will go through Circle’s servers, all your history continues to reside on your home Circle and is not stored anywhere else. You can read more about how Circle is handling your privacy and security with Circle go here.
To set up Circle Go on your iOS device, you must...
- Have a Circle device already set up and managing your home Wi-Fi.
- Assign the device you'd like Circle Go on to a profile other than None or Unmanaged. Circle Go can only be installed on devices managed by Circle.
- Install the MyCircle app on that device you want to manage with Circle Go.
- Be running iOS 9.0 or higher on your devices.
- Have the Safari browser enabled under Settings >> General >> Restrictions
- Not have any other Device Management Profiles (MDM) installed on the device. Circle Go won't be able to install alongside another management profile.
Step 1. Install the Apps
You will need to setup and manage two apps to use Circle Go:
- For managing Circle Go: Circle.
Install this app on the device that you want to use to manage your Circle device and your Circle Go subscription.
- For installing Circle Go: MyCircle.
Install this app on any iOS device that you want to manage using Circle Go.
You can find these apps in the App Store.
Step 2. Subscribe to Circle Go
Please make sure that in-app purchases are not restricted on the device you're using to subscribe to Circle Go!
Circle Go is a monthly subscription that extends the Circle features that work in the home to mobile devices, no matter which network they join. To subscribe to Circle Go:
- Start the subscription process. Open up the Circle app, and tap the Menu icon in the top left of your screen. Tap "Circle Go" to get started.
- Read the terms and conditions, login, and confirm the subscription. After tapping the "Start 1-Month Trial" button for the first time, you'll see details about how the subscription will work. Your subscription will be created under your Apple ID, and you'll manage it there. Click here for more about managing your Circle Go subscription. Tap "Confirm 1-Month Trial", and login to your Apple ID to confirm the subscription.
- Once you have the subscription in place, you are now ready to install Circle Go on your iOS device.
Step 3. Install Circle Go on Your Devices
Circle Go must be installed on any iOS device that you want to manage outside your home Wi-Fi. Installing Circle Go on each of your devices is very simple, but you will likely see a number of screens that you haven't ever seen before on your device as you go through the process. Here's what setting up Circle Go will look like:
Begin Circle Go setup
On the iOS device that you want to manage with Circle Go:
- Make sure the device is under the correct profile. Assign the device to a Circle profile with a filter level other than "None". If you are having trouble identifying the device you are on, you can get help here.
NOTE: Devices with a filter level of "None" or that are currently "Unmanaged" will not be able to use MyCircle or Circle Go. Devices not connected to the home Wi-Fi while installing Go will not be able to complete the installation.
- Connect to your home Wi-Fi managed by Circle.
- Launch the MyCircle app. If you're launching the MyCircle app for the first time, be sure to read through the introduction cards and allow MyCircle to send you notifications.
- Tap Enable Circle Go.
Install the Circle Go profile
In order to work, Circle Go requires the installation of a management profile into your phone's operating system. This allows Circle Go to manage your Internet activity according to the settings you've put in place for the person that this device belongs to. You can learn more about the technical details here.
IMPORTANT: If your Safari browser is disabled on this device (Check Settings >> General >> Restrictions) then the set up process will simply return to the MyCircle App. You will need to enable before installing Circle Go.
To install the profile:
- Tap Enable Circle Go.
- Press Install at the top right of the settings screen that displays.
- Enter your phone's passcode.
- Confirm that you trust the source of the profile and want to continue installing Circle Go.
- Tap Done to complete setup. This will bring you to a webpage that briefly describes the process you just went through and allows you to head back over to the MyCircle app. We recommend that you close this page in your Safari browser once you are done with Circle Go installation.
How do I know that I was successful?
There are a couple of indicators to look for that the installation of Circle Go was successful:
- In the Circle app
After subscribing for Circle Go, you will see a new item appear in the menu of your Circle app. Tap on Circle Go to display which devices are Circle Go enabled.
- On the Circle Go enabled device
On every device that Circle Go is enabled on, you will be able to see an item in the status bar on your iOS device that indicates that Circle Go has been enabled on that device. It is a small box with the letters "VPN" inside, and it looks like this:
This VPN badge will appear anytime Circle Go is in effect to manage the Internet activities for that device.