NOTE: This article is specifically about setting up Circle on a supported NETGEAR router. For setting up our legacy Circle Home device (our little white box), check out our setup article here! The latest Circle Parental Control software is not embedded on any NETGEAR routers currently. Learn about Circle and Circle Home Plus at meetcircle.com
Updating your router's firmware
To check for new firmware and update your router:
- Open a web browser while connected to your router's network.
- Enter http://routerlogin.net or, if known, your router's IP address.
- Login using your administrative credentials.
- Select ADVANCED > Administration > Router Update.
- Select the Check button to check NETGEAR's servers for a firmware update. If anything is available it will display a message asking if you want to download and install it. Note: If nothing is available you already have the latest firmware and can move on to enabling Circle with the instructions below.
- Select Yes to download and install the update. Wait until the web GUI indicates that the system is ready to proceed further.
Enabling Circle on NETGEAR
- The enable Circle 1st generation page displays after the firmware is updated.
- Click the ENABLE button. The parental controls home page will display.
- Move the slider labelled "Disabled" next to Circle 1st generation to enable Circle. Note: You can only enable one parental controls service.
- Click the Apply button. The links to download the Circle app displays.
Already have a Circle Home device?
Are you looking to set up Circle on your NETGEAR router and already have a Circle Home device? Before you set up Circle on NETGEAR make sure you've turned off your Circle Home device. Enabling Circle on NETGEAR from the app is as easy as tapping "Pair New Circle" and then while on your NETGEAR WiFi tap the Circle on NETGEAR set up option. (Using Android and not getting the message to "Pair New Circle"? Tap the back button and then exit the Circle app. Then reopen it and the option will be there!)
Setting up Circle on NETGEAR
Now that you've updated your router firmware and enabled Circle on NETGEAR you can set up Circle 1st generation. Download the Circle app from the iOS App Store or from the Android Play Store and then open it up while connected to your NETGEAR router's Wi-Fi network to begin setting up your Circle parental controls. For more information check out our article on setting up Circle on NETGEAR, particularly the sections on "Setting up your account" and everything following.