Get the Circle App
- On Apple iOS, Circle runs on version 11 or newer.
- On Android, Circle runs on version 6.0 or newer.
Setting up Circle for the first time
Ready to set up? You'll start by getting the app and then setting yourself up as a parent via creating an account. Later you'll set up Circle Home Plus if you have one, create family Profiles and add your family members' devices to them.
- Open the app and press Get Started.
- Agree to the User Agreement.
- Select Set up parent app.
- Create an account for yourself, which includes your given (first) name and family (last) name, email address, and a secure password.
- Sign into the app using the credentials you just made.
- Let the Circle app know how you'll be managing your devices: app only or app plus Circle Home Plus.
Need help with sign-up or login issues? See this article.
Starting a membership and setting up
To start managing your devices you'll need to tell the app what you are using to manage: app only or app plus Circle Home Plus. This will also determine what membership you start using.
Memberships can be started via in-app purchase or via the QR code on the hardware in the Circle Home Plus Bundle.
Check out this article for help with your subscription and membership!
App only setup
Choose this option if you don't have a Circle Home Plus and you only want to manage compatible Android and iOS devices using the Circle Parental Controls app.
Once selected you'll be asked to start a membership via an in-app subscription (unless you already have one). Then you can start creating your family's profiles. (You can skip to the "Creating your family's profiles" section of this article for more on this.)
App plus Circle Home Plus setup
Choose this option if you have a Circle Home Plus device and want to manage devices on your home Wi-Fi network.
Once selected you'll be asked to start a membership via scanning the QR code on the bottom of your Circle Home Plus device.
From there the app will guide you through the following:
- Gather your Circle Home Plus device and the included power charger, cord, and Ethernet cable.
- Identify your main home router and plug Circle into power near it.
- Connect Circle via Ethernet to your router (or use "Other Options" to pair only over Wi-Fi if you don't have an open Ethernet port.) Note: we highly recommend pairing Circle over Ethernet for the best speed and connectivity in your home.
- Pair Circle Home Plus using the in-app prompts while your device with the Circle app is on your home Wi-Fi network.
- Pair Wi-Fi back up if applicable.
- Test for any compatibility issues.
- If everything looks good you're ready to start creating your family's profiles and assigning devices.
Creating your family's profiles
- Start by typing in a family member’s name and add a photo.
- You'll have to set a Filter level and can also set up Time Limits, or BedTimes for their Profile. You'll be able to create OffTimes for them later.
- Want to add a mobile device to their profile? If you have your family member’s iOS or Android device on-hand, press “Continue.” If not, tap “Skip” and you'll be able to come back to assigning their devices later.
- After adding devices, tap “Add Another,” to keep creating Profiles, or “Finish,” if you’re done creating family member Profiles.
Need help troubleshooting any of the above?
Check out the below:
- Troubleshooting Sign-up or Login Issues
- Trouble Subscribing to a Circle Product?
- Trouble Setting Up Circle Home Plus