Having trouble keeping track of your kids' mobile devices when they have the kid app installed? You've come to the right place. This article will help you identify when an iOS device is no longer being managed and how to correct it.
Checking Device Status
You can see the status of a mobile device at any time by navigating to a Profile, tapping Devices, then tapping their mobile device (marked by the VPN symbol).
In this example, the VPN is green and active, indicating the device can be reached and managed.
Check Device Status
If you check the status of an iOS device and see the "Check VPN Device" status, this generally means that the app has been uninstalled from the iOS device.
Check the kid device for the presence of the Circle Smart Parental Controls app. If the app is no longer present, it has been completely uninstalled and must be reinstalled. To resolve:
- Tap Remove Device on this screen (using the parent app).
- Download the Circle Smart Parental Controls app on the kid device.
- Open the app and tap Get Started.
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- Tap Set Up Kid App and proceed through the prompts until the phone displays a QR Code.
- In the Parent app, go to the appropriate profile, tap Devices, and tap Add mobile device.
- Tap Continue and scan the QR code displayed on the kid device with the parent device.
- In the parent app, tap Add mobile device and Finish.
- In the kid app, tap Install VPN, Allow, and enter the phone's passcode if requested.
- Continue through the prompts, tapping Continue and Allow when appropriate.
It can take some time for the VPN status to update. If the app is uninstalled, the parent device will receive an immediate notification to that effect:
Restrict App Deletion on iOS
One of the best things you can do in iOS to secure Circle's mobile management features is to proactively remove the ability to delete the app.
As of iOS 11, Apple has introduced a feature called Restrictions that can be used to lock down certain functionality. Circle's VPN is managed by the Circle App when installed as a kid app, and the VPN cannot be removed without first removing the Circle app. Therefore, if app deletion is restricted, kids will be unable to remove Circle's mobile management features.
To restrict app deletion on iOS 12:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Screen Time.
- Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Switch Content & Privacy Restrictions to On.
- Tap iTunes & App Store Purchases.
- Tap Deleting Apps.
- Tap Don't Allow.
After this, go back to Screen Time and tap Use Screen Time Passcode to create a special passcode that will be required to change this setting.