So you've set a filter, paused, or created an OffTime for a profile, but your settings just aren't working. Is it just happening for one device in particular? There might be a filtering issue going on or something else. This article will help you identify the particular device having issue, and steps to try to allow the websites and platforms that aren't working. Note that these troubleshooting steps were written for device-specific issues in mind.
It's always a great idea to try a restart of the application and device before digging in too deep: sometimes things just need to be restarted. Be sure to force close the application and reboot your computer or phone to see if that helps. You can also reboot your Circle via the Menu under Manage, and your router by powering it off and on.
Which device is which?
In order to diagnose the right device in your Circle app, we want to make sure we're looking at the right one. To do that, we will use your device's "MAC address." A MAC address is a unique ID number for the physical device. If you aren't sure how to figure this out, please check out this article about finding your device's MAC address.
Once you have the device's MAC address, you can follow the instructions found in this article for matching that MAC address with the proper item in your Circle device list. Once you're sure you're looking at the right device in the Circle app, proceed on with the problem below that best matches what you're seeing.
Everything works except I can't open this website/app!
Is a particular service you're trying to use not loading? First, let's see if it shows up in your History as "Filtered":
- Navigate to the profile which the device is associated with.
- Tap "History".
- Tap the "Filtered" tab.
Do you see websites listed here that you recognize and want allowed? Simply tap on the website, and choose "Set as Allowed" or "Set as Unmanaged" to remove the restriction in place. You might need to set up a Custom Filter to make sure that site loads correctly. You can see what you need to allow under History and the Filtered section.
Nothing is being filtered!
- Make sure that you've associated the device with the appropriate profile. See the section on "Which device is which?" above for help if you aren't sure.
- If you're certain that it's assigned correctly, try Pausing the profile next.
- If you are still able to access websites, make sure the websites you're testing are not "cached" (that is, already downloaded onto that device). You can avoid this by deleting cached data in your web browser or by visiting a website you know hasn't been entered before.
- Check if Pausing the specific device rather than pausing the entire profile makes a difference. If that's still not working, plug in Circle via Ethernet directly to your router and check out this article.