Our team is currently aware of a stability issue affecting the Circle VPN on iOS devices. We are working to resolve this as soon as possible.
Note: with the latest release of Circle 1.2.0 this issue should now be resolved. Please update your kid app managed mobile devices for Circle Smart Parental Controls.
- Sites that should load do not while kid device has VPN installed
- Videos on YouTube or elsewhere start playing then continually buffer
- Unable to open apps that should be accessible
- Disconnected messages in app or browser
- VPN icon keeps disappearing and reappearing
We believe this issue affects older iOS devices, but some newer devices have been affected as well. The issue looks to be related to a memory leak in the VPN. Upon loading a page several times repeatedly, or loading a large amount of content the local VPN may crash and then immediately restart.
When troubleshooting this issue, keep in mind the following:
- Make sure you are running the latest version of the Circle app. Uninstall, and reinstall as the kid version to confirm.
- If only certain content is loading your device's profile filter levels and settings might need to be checked in the Circle parent app. Make sure they are set to allow the content you are having trouble loading. This includes looking for a Pause, or Offtime/Bedtime that might affect the device.
- Make sure you've set the device to the appropriate profile in Circle.
- Reboot the device and clear browser cache.
- If the issue remains while the VPN is disabled (Settings >> General >> VPN turn off the "Connect on Demand" toggle) this is likely something other than a VPN stability issue.
- You may need to remove any other VPNs installed on the device.
- Finally, you may need to create a test profile and completely remove the device from Circle and re-add to the new profile to confirm this is not a profile issue. You can add a profile from the Circle parent app Menu. You'll remove a device from Circle by opening the Device List >> the Device's Settings and tapping "Remove from Circle". You will need to uninstall the kid version of the circle app before doing so.
After working through the above if connection issues still remain while on the Circle VPN connection at home or over data, you can resolved this by removing the VPN. The device may still be managed at home using your Circle Home Plus.
As well, at this time a resolution is in place and being tested by our iOS team for resolution. If you are seeing this issue and want to be part of this test group let our team know by using the buttons below or searching this site for "Contact Circle Support".
Our development team is working to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We should have a hotfix available soon. Affected customers should contact support using the buttons on this page for updates on availability and possible addition to a testing group.