Are you having issues signing up or logging into your Circle Parental Controls account? This article walks through some common sign-up and login problems and provides helpful tips for how to get into your Circle account. Note: this article does not apply to issues with Circle 1st Gen. For assistance with that product and see here.
If you're signing up for a Circle Parental Controls account for the first time, please check out this article for assistance.
Signing up for your Circle account
You need to sign up for a parent account to set up a Circle Parental Controls account or a Circle Home Plus device. To sign up for a Circle account:
- Launch the Circle Parental Controls app.
- Tap the Get started button to begin.
- After you Accept the Circle user agreement, you'll get a screen where you can choose either to set up this device as a parent or as a kid device.
- Tap Set up parent app, and you'll be taken to the sign-up page.
When you are signing up for the first time, we recommend that you follow these best practices:
- Double check that you entered your email address and password correctly. To log in later, both will need to be entered exactly the same way as when you signed up, including capitalization.
- Make sure your password meets the minimum requirements as displayed in-app
Circle says my account already exists
If the app says your account already exists when you try to sign up, you may need to use the option to reset your password. Once you've gone through the password reset process, try logging in with your new password. You can see instructions for this below under "The app says my username or password is invalid".
I'm trying to create an account, but the app says it can't connect to Circle
If you are trying to create an account and the app reports it can't connect to Circle, make sure you are using the correct app: Circle Parental Controls. This error may occur if you accidentally use the Circle 1st generation app instead.
If you see this error and have already gone through the pairing process (your Circle device has a solid LED light on the back), make sure you reset your Circle Home Plus device before attempting to set up again.
The app says my username or password is invalid
If you see an error that your "username or password is invalid":
- Make sure that you are entering them exactly as you signed up. On some phone/tablet keyboards (especially on Android), the first letter of your email address may have been automatically capitalized. Try entering your email address again but with the first letter capitalized.
- Try another password that you may have used or retype the password again, just to make sure you entered that correctly.
- If the error continues you may need to reset your password. You can do so from the login screen by tapping "Forgot your password" and entering the email address you used to sign up. Remember, the email address field is case sensitive (meaning capitalization matters), so make sure you enter that correctly. A code will be sent to the email address you entered. Enter this code in the app, and then enter your new password twice. Now you can log in using your new credentials. If you aren't getting the code emailed to you see the above section on "I'm not seeing the verification link email" and work through that troubleshooting.
I'm having issues resetting my password
You should be able to reset your Circle parent account password directly from the app. Simply tap "Forgot your password" on the login screen in the Circle app and enter the exact email address you used to sign up.
If you get an error that the app "Could not reset your password for the account":
- Make sure you typed in the correct email address and entered it exactly as you signed up.
- When asked to enter the code and a new password: make sure you are entering the code received in the top field and not your email address. Some password managers will auto fill this field with your email address.
- If the issue continues, try capitalizing the first letter of your email address. The email field in the Circle app is always case-sensitive, so if your email address was capitalized during sign up, you will need to make sure it is entered that way when resetting your password.
- If you are using an Android phone or tablet as your "parent" device, go to Android Settings >> Apps & Notifications >> Circle >> Storage, and select the option to delete app data (not just cache). Then, delete and reinstall the app from Google Play and try again.
How do I log in on another phone or tablet?
Want to manage your Circle from another device or give someone else access? You'll need to download the Circle app on the device, start parent app set up, then log in with the same username and password you used to sign up.
If the Circle account you expect to see doesn't immediately load, you might have accidentally created a new account instead of logging into the old one. Make sure you login using the same exact email address you signed up with. You can see which email address you used by taking your first device, launching the Circle app, and going to Menu >> Settings >> Account.
I'm getting an error when scanning my QR code
To use the Circle app, you must start a Circle membership. You can start your membership by scanning the QR code on your new Circle Home Plus device or by starting a free trial subscription in-app.
If you scan the QR code on your Circle Home Plus and get an error saying it is invalid, it's possible the QR code was scanned previously.
If you or someone else in your home has already scanned that QR code with their account, log into that other account to use your Circle membership. You can do so by completely uninstalling the app (iOS) or clearing the app data (Android) and clearing your device's default browser's history and cache.
If this is the first account you've made and the Circle was bought new, you may need to return the device for replacement from your original retailer.