Netflix and Hulu are a popular entertainment streaming apps and websites. Often parents wonder how to make sure these types of websites are blocked, filtered for content, or how to set up Time Limits for them. Circle can help!
How Do I Set Up a Time Limit for Netflix or Hulu?
Circle can set up a daily Time Limit for popular apps or websites like Netlflix and Hulu. To do so:
- Open the profile you want to set a Time Limit on by tapping on it.
- Tap on Time Limits
- Scroll down to the app or website you want to set a Time Limit for (you can also set a Time Limit for an overarching Category by scrolling further down).
- Tap on the app or website and choose your Time Limit.
- Afterwards save your changes.
You can set a Time Limit of 15 minutes up to 12 hours per day. Once a Time Limit for a web site or app lie Hulu or Netflix is reached the site will stop loading for all devices assigned to that profile.
How Do I Block Netflix or Hulu?
Circle manages a number of popular apps and websites by default. You can make sure sites like Netflix or Hulu are set to be blocked under a profile's Filter Settings.
- Open the profile you want to make changes to then tap "Filter".
- Scroll to the app like Netflix you want to block and tap on the "Allowed" button to change it to "Not Allowed".
- You can also tap once more to set it as "Unmanaged" or again after that to go back to "Allowed".
- Afterward make sure to save your changes.
Keep in mind that only devices on that profile will have these settings applied to them. You will need to make changes on other profiles to set these apps to "Not Allowed".
Troubleshooting Netflix or Hulu Filters
If you're having trouble with Netflix, Hulu, or other popular apps set to "Not Allowed" or believe these apps or websites are being accessed when they shouldn't (like during a Bed Time, Off Time, Pause, or when its Time Limit has been reached) you may need to do some troubleshooting to fix that.
- Do you have the right device? If you've assigned a device to a profile that has these apps or websites set to "Not Allowed", but it still loads, you may need to make sure it's the correct device.
- Check the profile's settings. Tap on the Profile then the Filter level (Adult, Teen, Kid). In the list of Apps and Categories setting an app or website to "Not Allowed" should always block it and "Unmanaged" will always allow it and it won't show up in your History, Usage, or apply to Time Limits for that profile.
Important: Blocking just the Video category by setting it to "Not Allowed" won't block Netflix or Hulu since apps take precedent over Circle's categories. As well, make sure to check your Off Times or Bed Times are applying to the correct days and times.
- Wait a couple of minutes. Circle manages outbound traffic to the Internet, but can't stop buffered content from loading still. Once the buffer runs out Netflix, Hulu, or other streaming sites should stop playing.
- Unmanage network devices and check your connection. If you've assigned any of your network devices to a managed profile (meaning not unmanaged or the "None" filter level) Netflix or Hulu may still be accessible. Make sure any unknown or network devices are set to "Unmanaged" in your device list. As well, try connecting your Circle device over another connection. If you're using Ethernet try unplugging to use Wi-Fi only or vice versa.
How Do I Allow Netflix or Hulu Only During Certain Days or Times?
Want to make sure Netflix or Hulu is available during certain times of the day? You have a couple of options:
- Set the Education Category, and any websites you know your kiddos need to use during homework time to Unmanaged. You can set up an Off Time during this homework time (for example after coming home from school) to block all other websites that aren't Unmanaged.
- Create a new profile (from the Menu tap Add a Profile) that has Netflix or Hulu as "Allowed" and assign devices to that during special times of the day. On the other profiles you assign those devices set Hulu or Netflix to "Not Allowed".
Managing Other Sites Like Hulu or Netflix
Can I see the Netflix or Hulu Content My Kiddo Watched?
Circle will let you know in the History view when Netflix or another site is being loaded. On certain sites, like Netflix and Hulu, you won't be able to view the exact content that was visited due to encryption on the site. Read more on why here.
Setting up Parental Controls for Streaming Sites
Circle can work alongside the parental controls from site like Netflix, Hulu, Spotify, etc. and makes a great partner with those. You can learn about various built-in parental controls for these apps or sites below: