YouTube is a popular video streaming app and website. Often parents wonder how to make sure it filtered for content, or how to set up Time Limits for it. Circle can help with that!
How do I allow but filter the content YouTube shows?
Circle can enforce YouTube's Restricted mode. When restricted mode is enabled on a profile it will make sure only kid appropriate content is displayed in YouTube and its search results. You can learn more about enforcing Restricted Mode with Circle here.
Seeing what you think are inappropriate results in YouTube's search results? Work through the items in this article about "Making Sure YouTube is Blocked" or report those results using this guide to YouTube.
On YouTube and seeing that a video is "Restricted"? That's YouTube's Restricted Mode working. You can disable Restricted Mode under your profile's Filter settings or report the video to YouTube as kid appropriate.
You can learn more about YouTube's own parental controls here.
How do I only allow YouTube Kids?
YouTube provides a kid friendly version of their app that is very similar to "Restricted Mode". The resources that the YouTube Kid app uses to load those videos are dependent on the same ones that YouTube loads. This means you won't be able to set YouTube to "Not Allowed" using Circle and still hav YouTube Kids load videos. Instead, you can enable YouTube Restricted Mode on the profile and use the YouTube app to load content. The level of filtering that Restricted Mode on Circle uses is very similar to what the YouTube Kid app uses.
Making sure YouTube is managed
If you're having trouble setting YouTube to "Not Allowed" or believe YouTube is being accessed when it shouldn't (like during a Bed Time, Off Time, Pause, or when its Time Limit has been reached) you may need to do some troubleshooting to fix that.
- Do you have the right device? If you've assigned a device to a profile that has YouTube "Not Allowed" but it still loads you may need to make sure it's the correct device.
- Check the profile's settings. Tap on the Profile then the Filter level (Adult, Teen, Kid). In the list of Apps and Categories setting the YouTube app to "Not Allowed" should always block it and "Unmanaged" will always allow it and it won't show up in your History, Usage, or apply to Time Limits for that profile. Important: Blocking just the Video category by setting it to "Not Allowed" won't block YouTube since apps take precedent over Circle's categories. As well, make sure to check your Off Times or Bed Times are applying to the correct days and times.
- Wait a couple of minutes. Circle manages outbound traffic to the Internet, but can't stop buffered content from loading still. Once the buffer runs out YouTube should stop playing.
- Unmanage network devices and check your connection. If you've assigned any of your network devices to a managed profile (meaning not unmanaged or the "None" filter level) YouTube may still be accessible. Make sure any unknown or network devices are set to "Unmanaged" in your device list. As well, try connecting your Circle device over another connection. If you're using Ethernet try unplugging to use Wi-Fi only or vice versa.
How do I allow YouTube during certain days or times?
Want to make sure YouTube is available during certain times of the day or always? You have a couple of options:
- Unmanage the YouTube app to make it always available, even during Off Times or Pauses. You can then set other Categories or Apps to "Not Allowed". This would be a great way to help kiddos focus on school assignments that require YouTube.
- You can create a new profile (from the Menu tap Add a Profile) that has YouTube "Allowed" and assign devices to that during special times of the day.
Managing other sites like YouTube
Filtering YouTube and Allowing YouTube Music
Currently, Circle is not able to set YouTube to "Not Allowed" while allowing YouTube Music.
Instead, Circle is capable of enabling YouTube's Restricted mode on a profile: What do Safe Search and YouTube Restricted Mode do? You might consider enabling that and seeing if YouTube is appropriately filtered while YouTube Music still works for your family.
How can I see the YouTube video my kid watched?
Circle will let you know in the History view when YouTube or another site is being loaded. On certain sites, like YouTube, you won't be able to view the exact page that was visited due to encryption on the site. Read more on why here.