The Comcast/Xfinity XB6, also known as the Arris TG3482G or the Technicolor CGM4140COM, and the Comcast/Xfinity XB7, also known as the Arris TG4482 or the Technicolor CGM4331COM, are very popular modem/router combos issued by Comcast/Xfinity and other Internet Service Providers to their internet service customers. These routers require a specific setup to function properly with Circle Home Plus. The tips below do not work in all environments, but we have tested and found them to be the most reliable way to get your Circle device to function properly with this modem.
We have broken this down into 2 distinct sections, Router settings, and Circle settings. Please be sure to work through both sections to complete the recommended setup.
First, let's setup the internet service and modem/router so that it will work with Circle.
Set the IPv4 firewall in the modem to "Minimum Security":
- Using the web interface for your router, (usually at 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1) login with the admin credentials. (If you do not know what they are contact your Internet Service Provider.)
- Expand 'Firewall' and select 'IPv4'.
- Click on "Minimum Security (Low)" to select it.
- Click 'Save Settings' at the bottom.
Next, we want to make sure that the 2.4 Ghz and the 5Ghz Wi-Fi networks have the same SSID name.
- In the same web interface as above, click to expand 'Connection', then click on 'Wi-Fi'.
- Verify that both the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz network have the same 'Name'.
- The the 2 names do not match you will need to use the xFi app on a smart phone to rename one of them to match the other. (If you need further assistance contact your Internet Service Provider.)
Last for the modem/router we want to disable Advanced Security.
- Go to https://internet.xfinity.com/more/my-services/my-services-disabling.
- Sign in if requested.
- Disable Advanced Security if it's enabled.
Now let's get your Circle device paired to your network. You will want to setup and connect your Circle Home Plus device via Wi-Fi. Make sure that you do not have an ethernet cable connected to your Circle device.
Immediately after setup you will want to enable Compatibility mode on your Circle Home Plus device:
- Open the sidebar menu by either tapping the 'hamburger' icon in the upper-left corner of the screen or swiping in from the left side of the screen.
- Tap Settings.
- In the Circle Home Plus section, tap Router Compatibility.
- Switch the slider to enabled.