FAQ for the NETGEAR CVE-2021-40847 issue
Where can I find more information about the security issue?
The NETGEAR team has provided more information on their support site about the issue, as well as which router models are affected. Read NETGEAR's article on CVE-2021-40847.
What is the best action to take related to this security issue?
Update your NETGEAR router's firmware as soon as possible. The NETGEAR team has posted firmware updates that resolve this issue for all affected router models. Please refer to the instructions below to ensure that you have the most current firmware to resolve this issue. If you are not sure if your router model is affected, refer to the disclosure article above to check.
How do I ensure that I have the latest version of Circle operating on my Netgear router?
- The security disclosure on the NETGEAR site provides specific guidance on how to update the firmware on your Netgear router for router models that are affected.
- To update the firmware on your NETGEAR router using a web browser, follow the more general information from the NETGEAR website.
- If you prefer to update the firmware on your Netgear router using their Nighthawk mobile app, you can find instructions on how to do so here. In that app, you can find the firmware version of the router at these two locations:
- Router Settings >> Home Screen >> Home button (Top left button) >> Settings >> Router Settings
- About info >> Home Screen >> Home button (Top left button) >> About